In 1827, just eleven years after the State of Indiana joined the Union, a Methodist circuit rider began serving settlers in the five-year-old village of Martinsville. These circuits were known as 2, 3, or 4 week circuits depending on the length of time it took the rider to complete his preaching responsibilities. Martinsville was in the Indianapolis Circuit which extended from the east and west forks of White River and beyond.
The growing congregation initially met in homes, then in the court house, and eventually in the newly constructed Presbyterian Church. By 1846, the congregation was able to purchase two lots on the northwest corner of Sycamore and Washington streets where the present drive-in bank now stands. Work was completed by 1848 for a white frame church at a cost of $1300.
As more space became needed, land was purchased at Sycamore & Pike Streets and the cornerstone for a two story red brick church was laid in 1872. That church was used for the next 80 years until 1952 when the cornerstone was re-laid in a new limestone church at the same site.
The new church included the installation of a Moeller organ consisting of 693 pipes which was expanded to 1,022 pipes in 1991 by the Reuter Organ Company. The organ was included in the move made in 2008 when the congregation relocated to the present one-level facility 3 miles north of Martinsville at 3150 Myra Lane.
Also making the move at that time was the Sonshine Kids Daycare Ministry which has been a part of FUMC’s community outreach for past 25 years. Many saints have given of their time and talents through the years to make the church what it is today.
Strong pastoral leadership has been a hallmark of Martinsville FUMC and for the past 17 years Pastors Mark and Rebecca Suter have continued that legacy by ensuring that Bible-based preaching and teaching will remain a mainstay for the congregation.
The 190th celebration will take place on Sunday, October 1, 2017 beginning with the ringing of the bell from the 1872 church calling us to worship at 9:00 am. Following a service that includes remembrances, preaching, special music and presentations, there will be an all-church luncheon provided in the Community Life Center with many displays of church history available to view.
The celebration continues with a free Southern Gospel concert at 2:00 pm featuring His Design Quartet. The community is invited to attend both the morning service and the afternoon concert.
Through relevant and exciting worship, joyful music, biblical messages and warm fellowship, we are sure you will experience the love of Christ through His church.
For more information contact the church at 765-342-3558 or email: email@example.com or www.fumcmartinsville.org.