First United Methodist Church has been a continuous presence in the city of Martinsville since its founding in 1827. Now relocated to our new facility on Highway 37, our vision is to bring Christ and a workable Christian worldview to our city and our region.
Our mission statement:
Making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world—beginning here, beginning today.
At FUMC we aspire to be an exciting church that really prays. Jesus said, “…My house shall be called a house of prayer…” (Matt. 21:13 English Standard Version) So we open ourselves up to God who is trying to get through to us. We pray the simplest prayer: Lord, come into my heart. We pray for each other. We pray for our leaders. We pray for our community, our church, our country, and our world.
At FUMC we aspire to be an exciting church that really uses and applies the Bible.
Why study the bible?
- Because it is interesting
- Because it creates an exciting church
- Because it changes, for the better, men, women, boys and girls
- Because it brings in the Kingdom of God by making people what God wants them to be
- Because we discover answers to many of life’s questions
At FUMC we aspire to be an exciting church where people are genuinely generous. When we realize that God is our provider, then we can be generous. When we realize that God is our provider, then we can be generous with our time, talents and treasures.
At FUMC we aspire to be an exciting church that sacrificially serves the needs of others. We were created for community. We are committed to love God and our neighbors. Jesus said, “For where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there I am in the midst of them.” (Matt 18:20 New King James Version) So we feel God’s presence as we gather to worship, to pray, to study the Bible, to serve one another, and to serve our church, community and our world.
What can a person expect when attending our church?
- Inspiration from Worship
- Mental stimulation from the sermons
- A place to develop healthy relationships.
- Sacrificial service that meets the needs of others
- A place of belonging and acceptance among the family of God